Coconut and Turmeric Chicken Curry
I have been working on this lovely new chicken recipe with coconut milk and turmeric, which is a little plate of sunshine. The turmeric and garlic are two of our recommended immune boosting ingredients: turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory and garlic is too. Mild and comforting this is one for the whole family, very easy to make too.
Serves 2 adults, or 4 smaller child portions
- 400g free range chicken, skin removed and cut into chunks (breast or thigh meat whichever you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 can (400ml) light coconut milk
- handful of green beans, trimmed and cut into smaller batons
In a pot, with 1 tablespoon of oil, cook the chicken, in small batches until sealed (2 mins aside) and then set aside on a plate. In the same pot add 1 more tablespoon oil and the onion, cook and soften for 5 -8 mins. Add the crushed garlic 1-2 mins more cooking. Then add the turmeric and stir well. Finally add the sweet potato and top up with coconut milk and 200ml water. Bring up to a light boil and return the chicken pieces to the pan.
Simmer over a medium heat for 25-30 mins, until cooked. I then through in a handful of green beans for the last 4-5mins of cooking. The chicken should be completely cooked through and the sweet potato soft.
Serve with rice, quinoa or noodles, whichever you prefer ~ delicious.