Roasted Vegetable Penne
This is an easy mid-week pasta dish was: I roast all the vegetables on trays, and toss them through warm penne to save time. You can make endless variations of this and feel free to add protein too: shredded chicken, or flaked salmon would be delicious.
- 1/2 aubergine, trimmed and diced
- 1 red pepper, deseed and dice
- 1 courgette, trimmed and diced
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
- 400g tomatoes, washed and quartered
- 3 fat garlic cloves in their skins
- 200g penne
- handful of fresh cherry tomatoes, halved
- handful fresh basil leaves, picked through
- olive oil
- Parmesan grated (optional)
Preheat the oven 180C fan
Meanwhile prep all the vegetables: arrange on baking trays, with the garlic cloves and toss everything in olive oil. I used two trays spacing the veg evenly, so the vegetables cook through. Roast the veg and garlic in the oven for 20 mins or so, until everything is cooked through (depending on how large or small the vegetable pieces are)
Whilst the vegetables are roasting in the oven you can cook the penne, in lots of boiling water (following the packet instructions). Then drain the pasta.
To assemble the dish: remove the cooked vegetables from the oven. Take a large bowl and first add the tomatoes, mash with a fork to create an instant sauce, add a glug of good olive oil and the garlic cloves (popped out of their skins and mashed). Next add the warm penne: coat in the tomato mix. Finally toss through the cooked veg, halved cherry tomatoes, a grind of black pepper, scatter with fresh basil and grated Parmesan (optional).