Homemade Fish Fingers
These homemade fish fingers are the perfect freezer standby for days, when you need a healthy meal quickly. I bake them in the oven from frozen with Sweet Potato Chips, or wedges. For the speediest supper. The benefit of making fish fingers is you know the quality of the fish you are using. If you want to try making your own: here is what you need to do.
- 360g organic fish fillets, skin removed and pin-boned (3-4 fillets depending on size)
- 90g wholemeal bread
- 30g Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-2 free range eggs
- freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 180°C
Prep the fish: cut the fish fillets into 30g fish fingers, here I am using salmon
To make the assembly line:
- Blitz the bread, Parmesan & olive oil in blender, then spread the breadcrumb mix out on a large tray
- Take a second tray and crack the eggs into it, lightly beat and add x2 grinds of black pepper
To make the fish fingers, take a piece of fish:
- Coat in the egg mix
- Coat in the breadcrumb mix
Set aside and repeat the process with each piece of fish.
If freezing: take a lined tray and line up the fish fingers (so they aren't touching), wrap the tray tightly in cling film. Place in the freezer for 1-2 hours, or solid to touch. Then take the semi-frozen fish fingers and place them in a zip lock bag, label and date. (This method means they don't freeze in one big lump, but remain separate).
If cooking straight away: place the fish on a lined baking tray and cook in the oven for 15-20 mins until cooked through (5-10 minds longer from frozen)
Remove, drain on kitchen paper and serve