Crunchy Chicken Nuggets
There are no nasties in these chicken nuggets: if you make your own you know what's in them. I like to make a big batch, then freeze them. (Take a tray, wrap in clingfilm, line up the nuggets so they aren't touching, then wrap the whole tray with cling film ~ to protect the chicken from the freezer. In a couple of hours, and once frozen, empty into a zip lock bag and label). They will be a great standby on nights, when the fridge is looking empty. For smaller children you can omit flavourings (like garlic, lemon zest and paprika); and just keep it simple. I warn you adults will love these as much as kids!
- x4 free range chicken breasts, taken off the bone and skin removed
- 2 tablespoons natural yoghurt
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika (optional for older kids to add flavour)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 200g breadcrumbs, I use wholemeal
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Cut the chicken breasts into chunks or strips, the size you would like the finished chicken nuggets to be (smaller nuggets will cook faster).
To make the marinade - in a large bowl (that can hold the chicken pieces) add: the yoghurt and crushed garlic. Then add the chicken and coat in the marinade for 30 mins - 1 hour.
Whilst the chicken is marinading you can prepare the assembly line.
- Mix the breadcrumbs you are using with a tablespoon of oil, scatter on a large tray to plate, ready for coating there chicken. (If making the breadcrumbs from leftover bread - take some wholemeal bread and blitz with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil).
- Take another tray, or large plate and add the lightly beaten egg
Once the chicken has finished marinading: add the chicken pieces to the egg and coat, then add to the breadcrumbs and coat evenly in the mix.
Lay the chicken nuggets on a tray and bake at 180°C, for 20 minutes approx (longer if cooking from frozen). They should be completely cooked through. Test them by cutting one chicken nugget in half: the meat should be white with no traces of redness. They are now ready to eat, serve with big wedges of lemon. A healthy twist on a family favourite ~ enjoy!
- Other flavourings for the marinade - 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- Other flavours for the breadcrumb coating (you can just blitz with the breadcrumbs if making from breadcrumbs from scratch) - 1 tablespoon finely grated Parmesan, or finely chopped parsley